Thursday, April 17, 2008

Not a Part of it, Yet a Part of Me

Asnanti Jones
Mr. Mynatt
Sociology Extra Credit
April 18, 2008

Growing up, I was forced into a religion like most people are before they enter adulthood. I always felt that my circumstance was a lot different than most people that I have encountered throughout my life. Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, Halloween, Valentine’s Day, Birthdays, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, and anything else that was usually considered Holidays or events to look forward to were anything but that for me. When I was aware that these glorious times of celebration were on their way, I wanted to get under a rock and hide. When your mom is a Jehovah’s Witness, those holidays do not exist.

Not long after I was born, my mother began to study with Jehovah’s Witnesses. She found so much strength and love in her studying that she left her horrible living arrangements and moved to start a happier life as a Jehovah’s Witness. She later was baptized and has been a Jehovah’s Witness every since with no doubts. With her love and devotion as a Jehovah’s Witness and myself being the youngest of her children, I was obligated to be just as involved as she was, but I soon had another agenda.

There are several rumors about Jehovah’s Witnesses. I feel Jehovah’s Witnesses would gain more respect and less criticism if people actually took the time out to find out the truth of what they believe. Many rumors leave people to believe that Jehovah’s Witnesses do not believe in God or Christ. In my opinion, this rumor is based upon pure ignorance and lack of common sense. In the earliest of Christian Bibles, one will find that God’s name is Jehovah. Hence, they are represented by the title Jehovah’s Witnesses. They believe that they are indeed witnesses of Jehovah God. However, I have found that the major difference between Jehovah’s Witnesses and other Protestants is they do not believe in the Trinity. They believe that God is one being. His son, Christ Jesus, is another being, and his Holy Spirit is another separate being. Also, they do not attend “church”. Their place of worship is called the Kingdom Hall. Sometimes they may refer to it as the Hall for short.

They have different congregational meetings that they attend through out the week. Each congregation has different times that they meet. The usual events are three times a week. Every Kingdom Hall has more than one congregation that meets there at a Kingdom Hall at different times. Each congregation also has a different name. Many times the congregation will be named after parts of the city near the location of the Kingdom Hall. For instance, a Kingdom Hall located in the Raleigh area of Memphis, may have congregations by the names of Raleigh, Frayser, or North (North Memphis). Along with their scheduled meeting times, they also meet for field service. Field service is the activity in which they take part in witnessing to others. The go around from door to door trying to reach people who may want knowledge of God to have a relationship with him. Sometimes, they find people who are just interesting in Jehovah’s Witnesses and want to learn more about them.

I have learned to understand why Jehovah’s Witnesses do not celebrate holidays. Every holiday was made up by man. Some of the holidays were created by Pagans. Pagans are not believers of the Christianity, Jewish, or Islamic beliefs. Jehovah’s Witnesses believe in Christ, therefore they are Christians so it really make sense to celebrate and become involved in holidays that were created by people who do not believe in Christ. How can they not celebrate Christmas, when it is to celebrate the birth of Christ? Jehovah’s Witnesses also choose not to be involved in holidays because there are so many other additions to holidays that do not pertain to the meaning of the holiday, such as Santa Claus. Also, they have found evidence that Christ was not born on December 25, so they do not feel it should be celebrated. However, Jehovah’s Witnesses do celebrate anniversaries.

There are similarities as well as differences in the atmosphere of the Kingdom Hall and the Church. Both include singing and men speaking to the congregation about different topics. I have noticed In African American churches, people express themselves with shouting, dancing, and standing during the service. In the Kingdom Hall, the congregation sits and quietly listens until it is time for everyone to stand and sing from their song books.

Of course, there is so much more to Jehovah’s Witnesses as well as an abundance of similarities between them and other Protestants. Before you just run with a rumor that you have heard, talk to them for yourself. Instead of hiding when they come to your house or approach you on the street, just ask them about some of the things that you have heard. They won’t hesitate to answer your questions. Although I have chosen not to get baptized as a Jehovah’s Witness (nor am I baptized in any religion), I still have the upmost respect for them and their witnessing. Since I was raised in that religion, many of the values that I learned there are still attached to me today. I have decided to attend church because I do enjoy the atmosphere more and I feel more comfortable in Church than I have at the Kingdom Hall. My mother has not disowned me and I still respect her decision to be a Jehovah’s Witness.

1 comment:

emilyanne said...

I think this is really interesting. I always thought it was bizarre that Jehovah's witnesses didn't celebrate any holidays. It's interesting to know why they don't. I don't agree with the door-to-door thing though. I think it's fine to believe whatever you want to believe and you should teach people by acting that way, not by trying to convert them. Very interesting though.